Location of Kasauli p
Kasauli club is situated on the upper mall in a very scenic location. The cool breeze of the deodar and the pine trees greets one with affection. It is considered a pride and privilege to be its member. Kasauli club’s membership is most sought after and is difficult in getting an invitation to the Queen’s Ball. .
Open air sitting area cum restaurant of the club. To be a full member of the kasauli club the current waiting period is about twenty-five years .The members of the kasauli club be seen basking in the sun on cold winter morning or sitting by the fireplace in the evenings , sipping tea and reading novels. The Kasauli Club was established with a joint effort of locals and the service personnels in the year 1880, as a Reading cum assembly room in kasauli .The club has a tennis court , squash court and bridge/card room.
History of Kasauli club
It was named kasauli club ltd in 1898 when a limited company and constitution were set up with its first director as Sir David Semple .Initially the Club was for the exclusive use of the Britishers and held social meetings, tea and dinner dances. The club was registered at Office of the Registrar in Lahore. Only men were allowed to stay while women were allowed to reside during winters .The club consists of a lively bar, comfortable lounge, library, billiards, and a spacious dining room, squash court and a tennis court. In the year 1900 a kitchen and residential blocks were added to the kasauli club and slowly Bar,Guests Rooms, Billiards Room, Tennis Courts were added too. Slowly club became a destination for the british army officers in the Shimla Hills. In 1915 officers at Dagshai, Solan and Subathu could be admitted as honorary members.
The Club was originally constructed of wood and plaster, and was a typical hill architecture.The club was was ruined by a fire in 2002, causing a loss to the old-world furniture, precious books & paintings, and, above all the charming British touch.However the members got together and got it reconstructed in the year 2005 somewhat resembling the old structure. On the departure of the britishers from India some of the members of the Club were in a mood to sell off the club. After the efforts of Sir Maurice Gwyer an Indian buyer was finally traced. Thanks to Col. M.L. Ahuja the kasauli club is still there.
British Era Letterboxes
On the entry gate of the Kasauli club is a reminder of a gone era in this age of e- mails the blood-red coloured letter-boxes of the British era which still stand elegantly in some places around the town of kasauli. As compared to the modern era letter-boxes made of thin sheets of metal , these stand apart. Made out of wrought iron in cylindrical and pillar shapes with crowns on the top reminding of the coat of arms, these letter-boxes stand majestically. They have withstood the ups and downs of time. After India got Independence from the British , most remnants of the British were faded away , but some of the letter-boxes managed to with stand all this. Some are over 150 years old. Now they all bear the logo of the Indian Postal Services.letter-boxes were installed in the late 1830s. Painted in different colours , they were finally painted uniformly in red colour in 1876 in London. Since India was under the British rule, many such letter-boxes were put up in the important places where the Britisher’s resided. It is due to the efforts of Major R.E. Hotz, who didn’t return to England after Independence and settled down in Kasauli, that the beautiful letter-box survives till today and is functional. When the government was acquiring these letter-boxes, this one was spared on the request of Major Hotz.
Lately, the government again wanted to remove this letter-box and keep it in the museum. However, thanks to the indian Army authorities who rejected the proposal saying that the letter-box was the property of the Army since it is located within the Army cantonment area. The sleek letter-box continues to be functional and even receives a couple of letters every day.
Gurdass Singh also known as chacha can be seen greeting club members on the entry gate.
Club is functional all the seven days in a week.
Winters 8.30 A.M to 10.30 P.M
Summers 8.30 A.M to 10.45 P.M
Telephone numbers of the club
Reception: 01792 – 273882
Office: 01792 – 272010
Executive Secretary: 01792 – 273838
It is currently located within Indian Army premises and managed by a regular Indian Army Officer as Club Secretary.
Any individual found violating the Dress Code shall not be permitted to enter the Club premises.
Please note that the club has a particular dress code to be worn. Collared shirts are indeed a must as a part of the dress code of the Kasauli Club, which is 135 years old. Late Om puri had arrived for the Khushwant Singh Literary Festival in slippers and shirt tucked out . He was denied entry into the club.
Dress code for gents.
Formal Dress for Gents
(a) Lounge Suit / Safari Suit / Combination / Blazer / Nehru Jacket.
(b) Shirts tucked in with trousers.
(c) Turban for Sikh Gentlemen.
(d) Leather Shoes with Socks.
Dress code for Ladies.
Formal : Sarees / Suits / Formal trousers and Coat.
Dress items NOT allowed inside the Club premises
(a) Shirt / T-Shirts without collars or with Chinese collars.
(b) Tracksuits / Jogging / Bermuda Shorts & Sports Shoes.
(c) Mini Skirts / Shorts for ladies.
(d) Slippers / Chappals and Sandals.
(e) Patkas / Caps for Sikh gentlemen.
(f) Shoes without Socks.
(g) Sports shoes are NOT permitted inside the Bar after 7:00 PM for both Ladies and Gents.
Accomodation for the Members
The kasauli club has luxurious rented accomodation for the members .
The rooms gives one an old world charm feeling with a backdrop of the dhauladhar mountain ranges. Bookings can be made 60 days before.
- Member can book only two rooms at a time, except during the month of May and June when only one room can be booked.
2. Rooms can be booked for a period of 7 days .
KASAULI WEEK 2018
Kasauli club 97th week to start of today.